Re: Weird problem using 'hardcopy' -> Blank screen when never opened in

From: arturoea
Subject: Re: Weird problem using 'hardcopy' -> Blank screen when never opened in real terminal
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 14:14:57 -0700 (PDT)

Man, I was running into the same problem, but looked around some more, and
found that:

screen -dmS test my_interactive_program
screen -S test -p 0 -X hardcopy /tmp/my_dump

will work just fine. The clue here is -p 0, which means "send this command
to window 0"

This is what you were missing. When you attach with screen -x, you force
screen to select a default window (probably number 0), and so your
subsequent hardcopy commands start working.

Reference:
http://www.jerri.de/blog/archives/2006/05/02/scripting_screen_for_fun_and_profit/
("Getting the contents of a window")

Cheers!
Arturo

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to let you know that I found a workaround for this problem,
and make sure it is documented here for future references of others who
might have the same problem. I found several references to this problem on
the internet (Some dating back as far as 2004) but no solutions or
workarounds.

snip