Re: Re : Re : Re : New screen features available

From: Jesús Guerrero
Subject: Re: Re : Re : Re : New screen features available
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 21:04:37 +0200

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:46:04 -0400
"Jean-Yves Levesque" <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2007/5/29, Michael Schroeder <address@hidden>:
> > On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 12:12:35PM -0400, Jean-Yves Levesque wrote:
> > > What I would like to see is the following:
> > >
> > > window 1: bash shell
> > > Window 2: group of two bash shell side by side
> > > window 3: group of 4 bash shells in a 4x4 view.
> > >
> > > When I go to window 1 I have one window. If I go
> > > to next window, I would see a 2x1 layout. ^a next
> > > would show me a 4x4 layout. ^a next would bring me
> > > back to the single window layout.
> >
> > Sounds to me like it is exactly what the layout code
>
> I have a hard time explaining what I would like
> to achieve with groups and layout. I will try to
> detail what I would like to do. If you have
> screenrc examples for what I would like to do,
> please provide these so I can understand how to
> do this:
>
> Window 1 - Running Elinks (full screen)
> Window 2 - Running Mutt (full screen)
> Window 3 - Running 2 SLRN sessions side by side
>            to 2 different servers
> Window 4 - Running 4 telnet session to 4 servers
>            in a 2x2  configuration.

Maybe a graphical view will help you better.

Note that I am not sure if this is 100% correct, but it worked
for me. I just looked into the source for the few bits I did not
pick on the mailing list.

So, I paste here what I did:

================================
================================
================================
## BEGIN: LOGS LAYOUT ##

layout new system_logs

screen -t 1 //group
screen -t "htop" htop

screen -t 5 //group
screen -t "trash" bash

screen -t 2 //group
screen -t "fvwm" tail -f ~/logs/fvwm.log

screen -t 3 //group
screen -t "www" tail -f /var/log/lighttpd/access.log

screen -t 4 //group
screen -t "messages" tail -f /var/log/messages

split -v
resize -v 65%
split
resize 90%
focus
select trash
focus
split
resize -v 30%
select fvwm
focus
split
select www
focus
select messages
focus
select htop

layout save system_logs

## END: LOGS LAYOUT ##

## BEGIN: WORK LAYOUT ##

layout new work

screen -t 1 //group
screen -t "bash" bash
screen -t "cash" bash
screen -t "dash" bash
screen -t "root" su -c 'bash'

screen -t 2 //group
screen -t "irssi" irssi -c jesgue.homelinux.org

screen -t 3 //group
screen -t "moc" mocp
screen -t "mc" mc ~/storage/ ~/

split -v
resize -v 60%
focus
split
resize -h 60%
select irssi
focus
select moc
focus
select bash

layout save work

## END: WORK LAYOUT ##

## === ##

layout load "work"

bindkey "^H" layout next
bindkey "^[Oa" focus up
bindkey "^[Ob" focus down
bindkey "^[Oc" next
bindkey "^[Od" prev

caption always "%{dw} .- %{dB} %-w%50>%{KY}[%t]%{dB}%+w %{dB}%<%>%=%C:%s
%d/%m/%Y %{dw} -. "
termcapinfo rxvt-unicode 'hs:ts=\E]2;:fs=\007:ds=\E]2;screen\007'
termcapinfo xterm 'hs:ts=\E]2;:fs=\007:ds=\E]2;screen\007'

## === ##
================================
================================
================================

Two layouts, you change between them using C-backspace.

Many frames on each layout, you change current frame using C-up/down arrows.

A group on each frame, some groups have only one window.
On screenrc you "tie" a group to a frame just select'ing one
of the windows in that group. You can see that from that point,
only the windows in that group appears in the status bar of the
given group.

You cycle through windows into a group using C-left/right arrows.
If a given group has only one window, you can't cycle.

layout 1:
http://jesgue.homelinux.org/pantallo.jpg

layout 2:
http://jesgue.homelinux.org/pantalloB.jpg

I hope this helps you in any way. If not, just ask, though I am not
a master when it comes to screen. But I can try to help.
--
Jesús Guerrero <address@hidden>