Re: backtick and chdir

From: samuel.lethiec
Subject: Re: backtick and chdir
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 00:02:18 +0100

Hello, I was also looking for that fonctionnalty

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/screen-users/2007-10/threads.html

("Opening a new window, and cd to the same directory as the current window,

no matter what I'm doing")

I eventually found a way to achieve this

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/screen-users/2007-11/msg00036.html

You may need to join some lines to get the script to work because of the

mail client I used when sending the message... Anyway, just ask if you're

not sure.

samlt

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 22:12:52 +0000, david collins

<address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,

> I have been using screen for about 4 months now and I cannot live without

> it anymore!!

> There is one thing that I would like to be able to do which I have

> attempted to solve a few times and have searched here and google for - so

> far I haven't been able to find anything. I would like to be able to open

> new window (C-a C-c) in the directory that I create the new window from.

> What I have found so far has only been to put the pwd in the hardstatus

> line. What I would like to do is something like the following:

> backtick 1 5 5  cat $HOME/.screen/win.$WINDOW.pwd

> chdir "%1`"

> where win.$WINDOW.pwd contains the most recent directory that $WINDOW

cd'd

> to.

> But screen doesn't like this, it give an error:

> %1`: No such file or directory

> I can get a particular window to place its pwd in the required file

easily