screen, 256color mode and ssh

From: Mika Fischer
Subject: screen, 256color mode and ssh
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 22:27:22 +0100

Hi,

I'm currently playing around with 256 colors in my terminal. Locally I
basically have everything working.

For screen I had to put "term screen-256color" into my .screenrc. This
way, applications automatically detect that the terminal supports 256
colors.

The problems come when moving onto other systems. The terminfo entry for
screen-256color is almost never installed on other systems, which causes
the applications on the remote hosts to choke on the TERM variable and
revert to very very basic functionality.

I worked around this by setting TERM to screen if it is screen-256color
and that terminfo entry does not exist. Is this the recommended way to
deal with this issue?

Another problem is that I sync my configuration files for bash, screen,
etc. via SVN. Since my .screenrc contains the "term screen-256color"
line it won't work very well on systems where this terminfo entry is not
installed. Screen will revert to vt100 in this case.

Is there a possibility to set the "screen-TERM" only to screen-256color
if it's available, or is there a possibility to divide the screen
configuration, so that I could only use this on my local host and not on
the others? Or is there another way out of this mess?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
 Mika