Re: for the people whose screen does not crash

From: Mag Gam
Subject: Re: for the people whose screen does not crash
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:56:49 -0500

Thanks Trent! Yes, I agree most of my crashes/freezes are fat-fingering....
Will try ^Q or ^A^Q  next time...

On Feb 13, 2008 6:43 PM, Trent W. Buck <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 06:21:46PM -0500, Mag Gam wrote:
> I am slowly being convinced that my screen crashes (or freezes
> mainly) are due to my environment settings. This can include env or
> stty settings.  For the people whose screen does not crash what
> special settings are you using? What version of screen? What os?

I believe my screens do not freeze.  I use screen on IA32, AMD64 and
PPC hardware with anything from 64MB to 2GB of RAM.  The publicly accessible parts of my profile are accessible here:

   http://cyber.com.au/~twb/Preferences

In particular note .profile has

   test -t 0 && stty -ixon         # disable ^S scroll lock

by far the most common cause of "freezes" on Screen is people
accidentally locking the screen.  In this case, ^Q or ^A^Q will unlock
it.  Note also that I tell screen to use login shells by default, so
that .profile will be read in screen windows as well as the
controlling xterm/urxvt:

   shell -$SHELL                   # login shells by default