Re: dividers/borders

From: Angel Martin Alganza
Subject: Re: dividers/borders
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 18:33:29 +0100

Hello again,

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 01:15:42PM -0400, cga2000 wrote:

> .. but then if you have two similarly formatted texts such as two man
> pages there might be circumstances where you would be reading the text
> in the left sub-window and your eye would drift to the same line in the
> right sub-window before you'd realize you need to hit a "mental carriage
> return".

Well, I now run Ion as my window manager.  It's a tiled window manager
which I have set up to show no frame borders, handles, title bar or
space between frames.  It looks exactly as you describe here.  I use
different font color in different frames (most of them 80x25 ssh
sessions to different remote hosts/servers).  I never have a problem
seeing where a frame ends and the next one starts, and I have 100% of
the screen space covered by useful (at least for me) content all the
time.

> It depends what you mean by "high resolution" -- Some modes are

Having 4 80x50 areas/frames would suffice for me.

> supported out of the box by the generic vesafb driver that's usually
> enabled in out-of-the-box kernels .. Otherwise you may have to enable

I've seen only 80x24/25 in all the PC hardware I've used.  Not on
Sun's, where I get a much larger resolution, but since I don't have a
vertical split screen version running yet, I don't really take the
advantage of it (only 2/3 horizontal splits which gives me 2/3 25
lines areas).

> the framebuffer driver that's specific to your video card, which
> normally requires a make config and compiling a custom kernel.

I've never got a framebuffer running on PC, I'm afraid.  At least not
with the precompiled Debian GNU/Linux's kernels, that's it.

> See the "Framebuffer Howto" by Alex Buell.

Thanks, I'll have a look at it and see if I can get it set up.

> > Are there any Debian GNU/Linux or Free, Net, OpenBSD packages/ports
> > which currently support it?  If not, is it too hard to compile screen
> > from sorurce and which version should I try to compile?
>
> Not sure how this relates to the above. As I understand it, screen per
> se has nothing to do with resolution. IIRC, the only reason I had to
> compile screen from source rather than use the Debian package was to
> enable 256 color support and take a look at the new vertical split
> feature.

Sorry, I maybe was not clear enough here.  What I meant was to ask
whether there was a Debian or xBSD pack of screen *with vertical split*.
256 colors I don't even need most of the time, just when doing some
picture editing/viewing, which I can do on faster boxes with X.

> But in any case, on a recent Debian GNU/Linux, compiling screen from
> source is usually just a matter of reading the doc and once you have
> decided what options you need beyond the defaults, if any .. typing
> "./configure --options; make".

Excellent, I'll give it a tray, then.

Regards,
Ángel

--
Angel Martin Alganza               Tel +34 958 248 926
Departamento de Genetica           Fax +34 958 244 073