Re: Promote Screen? Include .screenrc!

From: Mark Eichin
Subject: Re: Promote Screen? Include .screenrc!
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 13:22:47 -0400

David Marsh <address@hidden> writes:

>> Yeah, I don't quite see how a screenrc would help either;
>
> I had the same problem. When I first tried it I couldn't see the point.
>
> Then I had problems with a machine constantly disconnecting me due to
> network problems, and out of frustration I tried screen to keep my
> session. I worked great.
>
> I started signing it's praises to my colleagues once I learned that I
> could have multiple connections to other  machines in their own
> windown on startup (with the help of ssh).

My take on that is that it's still not a screenrc that's important,
but getting the user to understand screen-management in the first
place - those features don't make sense until you "get" screen
selection (I have some colleagues who still don't, but are quite happy
to use screen for single-session preservation.)  Once you get that,
"oh yeah, you can stuff things you like in .screenrc, just like you do
with your .bashrc or .login" is a *very* small step; it's the features
themselves that need promotion.  (Thus my suggestion of screencasts,
as a substitute for the look-over-my-shoulder approach.)