Re: EOL switch?

From: Leslie P. Polzer
Subject: Re: EOL switch?
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 08:28:27 +0100 (CET)

> I don't know of any screen commands that do this. I would expect it to
> be a property of the terminal; a setting of stty. See what stty says
> about the ocrnl or similar options when you do "stty -a".

I can't. How will I send a line without Return working?

>> I have identified Screen to be the definite source of this
>> problem.
>
> This isn't useful information until you describe how you determined
> this. Note too that just because the problem is only exhibited in screen
> doesn't actually mean that screen is the source of the problem. There
> are certainly a number of bugs I've found that only happened in screen
> (or even specific versions of screen), but wound up to be clear glitches
> in (say) libvte or gnome-terminal. (Not saying it isn't screen's fault,
> but experience has taught me that placing responsibility is usually very
> difficult until the actual problem has been determined.)

Here's how I determined Screen to be the problem:

  1) It's not the app:
     a) app (SBCL) works correctly outside the defective screen
     b) other apps in the same Screen (shell) exhibit the same behaviour

  2) It's not the terminal:
     I have tried different terminal emulators

  3) Additional evidence:
     I have never seen this happening outside of Screen.

Hope that helps...

  Leslie

--
LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/polzer