Re: terminal capability problem when login therough screen

From: J. Bakshi
Subject: Re: terminal capability problem when login therough screen
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 09:31:38 +0530

Erik Osheim wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 12:38:58PM -0500, Pia Mikeal wrote:
>
>> I usually just put something like the following in my .profile on remote
>> servers
>>
>> export TERM=vt100
>>

> Alternately you can do this:
>
>     (within screen on local box)
>     address@hidden terminfo > SOMEFILE
>     address@hidden scp SOMEFILE address@hidden:
>
>     (then on remote)
>     address@hidden tic SOMEFILE
>
> This will copy the terminal definition your local box is using onto the
> server. If you only have a small number of servers I like this
> approach--if you have tons it can be tedious to make sure they all have
> the corect TERM setting and I might be more tempted to do something
> like what Pia suggests.
>
> -- Erik

Hello Pia and Erik,

Thanks for your responses. I am searching some technique where I don't
need to do any modification on remote server as I have to maintain a no.
of remote server. I got 2 solution.

#1.  In local box
----------------------

` ` `
TERM=xterm
` ` `

#2.
------

In debian lenny box the screen version does not have the problem.

But #1 actually set the TERM environment in local box. Is not there any
command option in screen to set TERM just for screen session and not
globally ? I have tried with "screen -T xterm" but found the cursor is
not working properly with vim; where setting TERM environment locally
solved the issue. Any workaround with "screen -T" ?

Thanks

--
জয়দীপ বক্সী