Re: Ping Packagers

From: Sadrul Habib Chowdhury
Subject: Re: Ping Packagers
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 16:50:57 -0500

* Brian Kroth had this to say on [24 Dec 2009, 12:14:43 -0600]:
> Dustin Kirkland <address@hidden> 2009-12-22 10:42:
> > On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Sadrul Habib Chowdhury
> > <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > I don't think there will be much of a problem using dynamic malloc in the
> > > current code. However, it can be problematic for when we merge in the
> > > scripting support. For example, a script could store the window pointers
> > > somewhere, and use them in a callback. A dynamic malloc will either cause
> > > this to crash, or require complicated checks in the script (or the script
> > > loaders).
> > >
> > > So to keep it 'forward-compatible', perhaps increase the default limit to
> > > 100, and allow increasing the limit only when creating a new session. How
> > > does that sound?
> >
> > I think 100 sounds reasonable.
>
> Agreed.  I also like the idea of being able to specify it at session
> creation time.

Just an FYI, I have already made this change. Screen already had a command
'maxwin', execpt previously, it was not possible to increase the value of
maxwin. Now, the initial value is set to 100, and it can be increased to a
higher value, but you would have to do it before any window is created.
(so you would put 'maxwin 500' in your .screenrc before any 'screen'
 command you might have).

Cheers,
Sadrul