Re: Hardstatus and UTF-8 NFD

From: Xavier Guérin
Subject: Re: Hardstatus and UTF-8 NFD
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 17:18:09 +0100

Thank you for your answer. I gave a shot to the latest git version, and I'm sorry to say that it is actually worse.

With my current version, the characters present after the decomposed UTF8 characters are simply not displayed.
With the git version, it seems that the hardstatus actually crashes when given a NFD sequence.

The solution I found is to normalize a given UTF8 into a NFS compatible sequence. Here is a small python script that does the job:

#!/usr/bin/env python

import sys
import unicodedata

if len(sys.argv) == 2:
  name = unicodedata.normalize('NFC', unicode(sys.argv[1], 'utf-8')).encode('utf-8')  print name

Maybe this can be of some help for you guys.

Xavier