Re: screen, detached, stdout

From: Andrew McGlashan
Subject: Re: screen, detached, stdout
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 05:33:08 +1100

Hi,

Nico Schlömer wrote:
I would like to start a series of jobs in the background and log their
stdout in specific files. The idea is to use screen for this, and I
went ahead and typed

$ screen -d -m /path/to/my/exec

which puts the job nicely in the background. Let's log stdout:

$ screen -d -m /path/to/my/exec | tee output.log

What's wrong with using the -L option?

As a test, I created the following alias and ran it fine.

# alias ns9='if [ -f screenlog.0 ];then rm screenlog.0;fi && (/usr/bin/screen -S root -L -d -m time /usr/local/bin/program.sh; tail -99f screenlog.0) && mv screenlog.0 my-test-screenlog.out'

# ns9

That seems to work nicely!

And I know it's finished when I see the "time" output.

If you want to run multiple sessions, then you might need to create a working directory for each one and start the command in each directory so that it will always have it's own screenlog.0 file.

Cheers

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM