Can screen render hardstatus and messages in different lines in the term

From: Dun Peal
Subject: Can screen render hardstatus and messages in different lines in the terminal?
Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 13:03:50 -0500

Hi there,

I currently use a nice configuration[1] that shows the permanent
hardstatus in the xterm window titlebar, while messages are rendered
on the last line.

Unfortunately, that's not portable to pure console servers without X.
When I move the hardstatus to the "message" area, it gets overwritten
by messages, which is a deal breaker.

Ideally, I would like hardstatus to render on the top line of the
terminal, and messages at the bottom (last) line. Failing that, I'd
like it to render on *any* line that's not the message line (e.g.
render on the last line, while messages render on the second-to-last).

Possible?

Thanks, D.

[1] http://aperiodic.net/screen/faq#how_can_screen_use_xterm_s_title_bar