Re: New release

From: Carsten Mattner
Subject: Re: New release
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 09:35:11 +0200

On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 10:44 PM, Jostein Berntsen <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 31.07.12,16:56, Carsten Mattner wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Brian Kroth <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > Carsten Mattner <address@hidden> 2012-07-21 14:52:

>> > I completely agree with the sentiment.  I think it's (perhaps artificially)
>> > holding up inclusion in the major linux distros of a modern screen, which
>> > really has some nice new features to offer.
>>
>> This sounds kind of similar to users preferring zsh over bash just
>> because Apple bundles an ancient (differently licensed?) bash with OSX.
>>
>> I did try tmux but it just doesn't work as well as screen for me. It
>> seems slower when listing many many lines of text and I also miss the
>> key chaining behavior of screen. The difference in key chaining is a
>> design choice as far as I was told and you have to redefine all the
>> quick key chains you use explicitly.
>>
>> > Debian's experimental branch at least has a git based package now, adapted
>> > from a recent fedora package, which, from a quick glance, is the only major
>> > distro out there to have one.
>>
>> Seen that, but don't use Debian. What's holding up a release?
>>
>> FWIW I haven't reported this to Fedora's bug tracker but their copy of
>> screen has a bug somewhere which segfaults if you have "maxwin 9" or
>> "maxwin 4" in .screenrc. That doesn't happen on any other distro.
>>
>> What can we do to get a stable release out there?
>>

> Any news on this one? :)

The current git master is solid enough for a new release and it
sure will be better than no release in so many years. As I said
screen is still way better suited for many users including me and
tmux is not a suitable replacement. Distros using random git master
revisions should be reason enough to make a new release.

Is there nobody who can cut a release and should we appoint someone
to handle releases?