Re: Screen terminal freezes

From: wes
Subject: Re: Screen terminal freezes
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 17:54:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013, Edmond Rodriguez wrote:

I am running gnu screen version 4.00.02.

Everyone once in a while (but consistently) a terminal will freeze
up while printing output and there is no way that I know of to
unfreeze it.

CTL A q does not help and I tried about every command available in
the help.

I can create other terminals within the screen, but cannot usually
reconnect to the screen session it if I detach it.  The frozen
terminal remains just that (frozen) until I terminate the entire
screen session.

I also tried the "wipe" function of the screen command, though I
have not seen a need for it.

Any clue what might be happening?

"GNU Screen - Bugs: bug #11610, XON (Ctrl-S) halts screen 4.0.2"
                                ^^^[xoff, iiuc]

  http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?11610

btw, you do not mention trying...

 ctrl-a ctrl-q

...and perhaps that is because ^q is not mapped to xon in your
installation.  but if it is, you might want to give that a try.  (ftr,
i am using version 4.01.00devel (GNU) 2-May-06 in debian 7.1.)

i make the suggestion because on my installation "ctrl-a ctrl-q"
behaves differently than "ctrl-a q".  namely, the former happens to
work and the latter does not appear to work (both in a vt and in
xterm).  this is despite the fact that my screen installation's help
command informs me that both ^Q and q are mapped to xon.

i have been assuming the discrepancy is most likely due to some
non-screen part of my environment.  because i like screen's help
command, and i like to think it would not tell me dirty, dirty lies.

hth,
wes