Re: Screen terminal freezes

From: Edmond Rodriguez
Subject: Re: Screen terminal freezes
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 10:45:21 -0400

So here is an update to my terminal hanging curious problems.

When I look at screen processes on a system I will see usually one that comes out in upper case letters (ie: SCREEN) and other in lowercase.    Often a lower case process (I guess not the main SCREEN session) will remain after disconnecting from a VPN.

(I am not sure I totally get the uppercase "SCREEN" session, how that gets created or run and ps listing shows SCREEN instead of "screen").

Though inconvenient, I can often solve a terminal hanging problem by killing (signal 1 or 2) all the screen processes except the SCREEN process.   Then logging back in, I can get back to the screen session with everything as I left it.   This solution does not always work, but it works most of the time.

This experiment started with the SIGHUP idea someone sent, which sometimes worked.

When I do "screen -ls" I do not see all the screen processes running.  It shows me that I am attached to the main SCREEN process, but I can't easily tell which screen process I am using (there are always at least two processes).

So I will maybe try to find an easy way to find the processes that are doing nothing and kill them, and thus maybe I can keep the current session without having to relog into it.

Thanks for the all the replies, as this was the motivation to solve the above.  Any more comments, please do send them.

Edmond