Re: screen: how to toggle between 3 windows?

From: Chris Jones
Subject: Re: screen: how to toggle between 3 windows?
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 21:05:27 -0400

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 12:00:31PM EDT, ping song wrote:

> hi folks:

> we all know c-a c-a is to switch between 2 windows, which is a VERY
> useful operation, but a lot of time I need to quickly switch between
> current and the last 2 windows visited ever. is there a quick key
> stroke to archive that as well?

Maybe..  you could hijack the "layout" command(s) to do this..?

You would define a key combo that creates a one-window layout containing
the current window.. repeat for the other two target windows.

Now you have three layouts and you would bind another key combo to
"layout next" (or layout prev) so you could quickly switch layouts..
in effect causing a window switch..

Depending on your use case, you might be able to define these three
layouts statically.. i.e. in your ~/.screenrc... loses some flexibility
but saves the phase where you manually create the 3 layouts.

If prefer doing it on the fly you will probably also need a key combo
bound to the "layout remove" command in order to  quickly get rid of the
existing layouts before creating new ones.

CJ

--
Hi! My name is bobby...