Re: Caption >> %M << UTF-8 issue with the month march in german

From: Axel Beckert
Subject: Re: Caption >> %M << UTF-8 issue with the month march in german
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 19:44:51 +0100

Hi Leander,

Leander S. schrieb am Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 11:18:22AM +0100:
> I have an UTF-8 issue displaying the month March as "März" in german.
> I use default Mac OSx Terminal as well as Putty. Putty is configured
> for UTF-8 ... yet I get funny characters for the umlaut "ä" on both
> Terminals.
[...]
> LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF-8"

I can reproduce the issue with screen 4.0.3 in Debian Squeeze (the
previous Debian Stable release).

But it works fine for me in the screen package in Debian Wheezy (the
current Debian Stable release which sports a git snapshot of screen
from 2013-March-20).

So I suspect that the issue is already fixed in the git repository and
will be fixed with the next release of screen (and is already fixed in
many Linux distributions including Debian, Fedora and some of their
derivatives).

JFTR: I tried it both times in an uxterm (UTF-8 xterm).

With the screen git snapshot from 2013-March-20, both these cases
work fine for me:

env LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF-8" screen
env LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF-8" screen -U

Example used:

hardstatus alwayslastline "%H: %n %t | %w | %l | %c:%s %M"

(Yes, %M without day of month doesn't make much sense. :-)

                Regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | address@hidden  (Mail)
 X   See http://arc.pasp.de/                      | address@hidden (Mail+Jabber)
/ \  I love long mails: http://email.is-not-s.ms/ | http://noone.org/abe/ (Web)