Bash prompt missing in screen

From: Dave Kuhlman
Subject: Bash prompt missing in screen
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 23:31:09 +0000 (UTC)

I use screen lots.

On my local machine it works great.

However, when I do remote log-in using ssh, I get a blank screen with no
(bash) prompt. I can run commands, but I do not see any output.  For example,
the following works and writes output to the file junk.txt:

    $ ls > junk.txt

but I see nothing, until I exit screen and view the file.

This problem only started to occur a few days ago.  Is it possible that I
need to set or adjust the characteristics of my terminal, or maybe tell
screen something it needs to know about my terminal?

My suspicion is that this is a problem with the host machine where I'm
running screen.  But, I don't know what the problem might be, and so I do not
know how to report it.

Can anyone give me a clue about how to diagnose this or collect more info?

Dave