OS X Yosemite Terminal app eating scrollback output

From: Avram Dorfman
Subject: OS X Yosemite Terminal app eating scrollback output
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2015 08:45:58 -0400

Hello,

I’ve just upgraded to Mac OS X Yosemite, and suddenly, the built-in Terminal
app doesn’t populate its scrollback buffer with output from screen. It’s like
this:

ssh to linux box
ls -l /tmp
now Terminal has a long scrollback history
cmd-k to clear history
screen
ls -l /tmp
now Terminal’s scrollback buffer is still empty

I found a post telling me to add "termcapinfo xterm* ti@:address@hidden to
.screenrc.
(http://slaptijack.com/system-administration/mac-os-x-terminal-and-gnu-screen-scrollback/).

That works. My question is: What changed? Why is this necessary with Yosemite
Terminal when it was not before? What is it doing differently, and can I adjust
something locally to get it to stop?

Thanks,
Avram