Re: Four questions about examples of GNU Screen use

From: Axel Beckert
Subject: Re: Four questions about examples of GNU Screen use
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 15:42:20 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 06, 2016 at 01:10:34PM +0200, Lars Noodén wrote:
> > asc () {
> >         print -Pn "\e]0;address@hidden: autossh -t $* 'screen -RdU'\a"
> >         autossh -x -t "$@" 'screen -RdU'
> > }
>
> With the shell function you show for autossh, I notice the addition of
> -U for screen.  How important is to tell screen to use UTF-8 these days?
>  Don't most terminals support UTF-8 already out of the box?

On the one hand, it's in there for quite some time, so it could be
consider legacy.

But it never hurt me and since all my own infrastructure is UTF-8
based, I don't mind enforcing it in case I encounter a legacy
installation or such. So I don't bother to remove it nor to think
about if I still need it. :-)

                Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | address@hidden  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html | address@hidden (Mail+Jabber)