Re: Screen In An Active Directory Environment

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Screen In An Active Directory Environment
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 23:35:14 -0700

Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > What does 'getent passwd $USER' say in this case?  What does 'whoami'
> > say in this case?
>
> whoami returns the correct name

That is good at least.

> nsswitch is looking first at files, then the vas4 authenticator

Almost certainly the problem is in that then.  Because otherwise it
would be working.  However I don't know anything about it and can't
advise you further.

> getent for this user returns nothing.

That is the problem.  I suggest pushing down that avenue of debugging
and figuring out how to make that work.  Unless and until that is
working then one can't expect anything on the system that uses the
account database to work either.  This is the problem.  This is not a
problem with screen or Emacs or any other utility.  It is a problem
with the way your system is configured.  You will need to debug it
there.

> Interestingly, emacs complains there is no home directory for this
> user, even though it does, in fact, exist.
>
> Very strange.

That is the same thing as the 'getent passwd $USER' failure.  Same
thing.  Since the system can't get the account information for the
user then Emacs can't get the account either.  Same thing.

Bob