Scrolling output in split screen with mouse WITHOUT using extra control

From: Carl Ponder
Subject: Scrolling output in split screen with mouse WITHOUT using extra control sequences
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 14:00:20 -0800

I'm using a split screen

split -v
mousetrack on

and want to be able to use my mouse to (1) copy/paste text and (2) scroll up-and-down each screen the way I do in my xterm windows.

#1 I don't want to have to type extra <ctrl>-A or <shift> to make it work.
I already know I can use <shift> to make copy-paste work. I want to make it work without <shift>.

#2 I want to scroll through the screen *output*, not the command-history, which I already know how to do.

I've see a lot of old postings that repeat how to use <shift> and <ctrl>-A sequences, which I don't want to do.
Because they're old postings, though, I'm wondering if the newer versions of screen might have better support for this.