Re: some screen windows freezing

From: Michael Parson
Subject: Re: some screen windows freezing
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 16:20:08 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 11 Dec 2020, Hauke Laging wrote:

Hello,

I regularly experience that one of several screen windows freezes. This
usually happens after some time of inactivity.

What are you doing in those windows that freeze up?  What programs were
runing?  Just sitting at a shell prompt?  An open editor session?  Was
that window local to your computer or had you ssh'd to a remote system?

^A q does not solve this problem. Are there any other features which can
cause this effect?

I don't know whether the cause of the problem was always the same. When
it happened the last time I attached strace to the respective shell and
learnt by this that the shell still gets input from screen and writes
its regular output.

One possibility:

^S can 'freeze' a window/shell session.  It's the 'XOFF' software
flow-control character, a hold-over from back when terminals were
connected via serial lines.  ^Q is the 'XON' character that should
resume output.

Given that on US/QWERTY keyboards, the 'A' and 'S' keys are right next
to each other, it is easy to accidentally hit ^S when reaching for ^A in
screen.  You might have to also try ^A^Q to get the session to resume.
I have had individual windows freeze up in ways that I wasn't able to
fix with combos of those key sequences and wind up having to :kill that
window, but I've also had pretty good luck unfreezing with ^Q and/or
^S^Q, and sometimes ':flow off'.

Check the man page FLOW-CONTROL section as well as about the '-f' screen
flag, the 'defflow' and 'flow' .screenrc options about how to control
and/or disable this feature inside of screen.

--
Michael Parson
Pflugerville, TX