Problem with function key binds

From: Dave Woodfall
Subject: Problem with function key binds
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 02:59:23 +0000

Hi all.

screen 4.8.0 on slackware linux 14.2 / kernel 4.4.240.

I have a weird problem that I can't figure out.

I have had the function keys all bound ever since I began using
screen some years ago.  I use `bind -k' k1 to F2.  Recently I moved
some services from one machine to another with the same OS and screen
version + configs (I use the same config everywhere, both local and
remote).

When I begin a screen session the binds work fine, but then later I
find that only keys F1-F4 still work, and F5-F12 stop working and
instead act like I pressed escape and then print the key strokes
after the \E[ prefix.  I.E. ^A F5 prints 15~, ^A F6 prints 17~ and so
on.

This only happens over ssh.
I have a few things like irssi, mutt, and calcurse on both boxes.
Locally, I use a plain tty or sometimes fbterm and it happens in both.
The TERM is set to screen.linux and hasn't changed.

The keys F1-F4 print ^[OP to ^[OS
The keys F5-F12 are numerical: ^[[15~ to ^[[24~

`cat' shows that they haven't changed.

The old machine never did this, and I have checked everything on it I
can think of that might be different, but can't see anything.  There
are no local .terminfo settings, both use the same zsh configs too.

I checked diffs of infocmp and TERMCAPs between a broken and a
working session, and they are identical, other than cols and
rows/lines.

I also checked stty and tried `stty sane/cooked/raw' etc. but no
change.  Same with tput init/reset and screen's :reset.

I hate having to /quit irssi and make a new screen session to get my
key binds back, but this seems to be only workaround for now.  FWIW
function keys bound in irssi and mutt still work.

These are the screen settings I use:

altscreen on
bell_msg ""
compacthist on
defbce on
defscrollback 10000
hardcopydir "$HOME/.screen"
hardstatus alwayslastline
logfile "$HOME/.screen/screenlog.%n"
logtstamp on
ignorecase on
nethack on
pow_detach_msg "Screen session of \$LOGNAME \$:cr:\$:nl:ended."
rendition bell = g
rendition monitor = y
rendition silence = b
rendition so = bk
shell -$SHELL
startup_message off
vbellwait 5
vbell off

I'm totally stumped.  Any ideas?

TIA

--
Dave

Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night, the ice weasels come.
         --Friedrich Nietzsche