Re: screen - bash history

From: Dave Woodfall
Subject: Re: screen - bash history
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 07:56:03 +0000

On 07/11/21 09:29,
Vishal Priyatham <priyatham43d@gmail.com> put forth the proposition:
> Hi team,
> We are using screen utility on linux server for one of our projects.
> We have some issue related to our application and wanted to check what were
> some of the commands run in the past which caused the issue.
> Is there a way to know the commands run inside the screen session?
> Regards,
> Vishal

Hi Vishal

Screen has a history command for typed commands.  From the manual:

history

Usually  users  work  with  a shell that allows easy access to previous
commands.
For example csh has the command "!!" to repeat the last command executed.
Screen
allows  you to have a primitive way of re-calling "the command that started
...":
You just type the first letter of that command, then hit `C-a {' and screen
tries
to  find  a previous line that matches with the `prompt character' to the left
of
the cursor. This line is pasted into this window's input queue.  Thus you have
crude command history (made up by the visible window and its scrollback buffer).

C-a {,             (history)         Copy and paste a  pre‐
C-a }                                vious (command) line.

It's usually a bit easier to work with your shell's own history feature though.

Hope this helps.

--
Dave