sed-devel

Re: "sed --debug" feature

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: "sed --debug" feature
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 08:00:41 -0500

On 07/27/2018 05:28 AM, Assaf Gordon wrote:
Hi all,

While investigating the two recent bugs [1][2],
I developed some debugging code for sed, which makes
troubleshooting much easier.

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/r/bug-sed/2018-07/msg00004.html
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/r/bug-sed/2018-07/msg00018.html

First,
It turns cryptic code into more readable sed code:

Second, it also traces step-by-step each command
while printing the pattern/hold buffers:

I'm not sure this should go into mainline sed (too specialized and border-line bloat), but I thought to share it here for future reference.

comments welcomed,

I think it is actually fine for mainline - the number of user bugs we've been able to identify with 'sort --debug', and more recently 'date --debug', makes things like this worth their weight in gold.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266