self-platform-dev

Re: [Self-platform-dev] Fwd: [bug #22392] Unselectable items in the vers

From: Dinesh Joshi
Subject: Re: [Self-platform-dev] Fwd: [bug #22392] Unselectable items in the version tree
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 00:35:50 +0530

On 3/22/08, Nagarjuna G. <address@hidden> wrote:
>  I personally would like to give indications to others that some one is
>  working.
>
>  However, what you are saying is good, if not knowing is an incentive of a
>  sort.  Does this help people to collaborate more vigorously than in case
> where they know that someone is working.

Hmm..taking a more balanced view, its a personal choice. But since we
are talking about a collaborative environment, it seems to be wasteful
if I redo some work that someone else has already completed or is in
the process of completing. It is much wiser to "help" each other
rather than be oblivious to what other people are working on or have
already worked on and this also includes unpublished work ( work in
progress ).

In the real world we  do see a lot of "unfinished", "unpublished"
work. Drafts? Alpha / Beta versions of softwares? RFCs? Anyone?

Going by what Federico said on savannah is somewhat against the notion
of a collaborative environment. Right now we see several projects
doing the same thing. Why waste precious resources when you *know*
someone else is also attempting to do what you want to do? The SELF
platform should be a step in the forward direction.

An excellent example of resources going waste in a collaborative
environment is the example of Beryl and Compiz. Finally, they decided
to pool their resources and now they're far ahead of where they were.

In short, I am for showing even unpublished work.

--
Regards,
Dinesh A. Joshi