self-platform-dev

[Self-platform-dev] [bug #23291] Main URL structure

From: Wouter Tebbens
Subject: [Self-platform-dev] [bug #23291] Main URL structure
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 08:39:26 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

As earlier discussed in the TEG (October 2007), the main URL structure should
be revised.

Right now the URL for a consolidated Learning Object ("course") is built up
like <domain>/SELF/....

First issue is that the term "SELF" is redundant and should be left out to
reduce the URL length.

Let's now look at the various functions and modules in the platform. It
should be made as transparent as possible for the users to interpret the URL,
without reducing the performance of the system.

Homepage: should equal the domain name, i.e. <domain>
Materials (=Collections): <domain>/collections
A specific collection:
<domain>/collections/<collection-name>/{view,edit,delete,addcourse}
where <domain>/collections/<collection-name>/ calls the view mode of the
collection with collection-name.
A course:
<domain>/lo/<ssid>/{view,edit,changes,history,discussion,organise,translations}
where <domain>/lo/<ssid>/ calls the view mode of the LO, as well as
<domain>/lo/<ssid>/view. "Edit" calls the editor, "changes" the view changes,
"history" the change history, "discuss" the discussion space (to be added) and
"organise" the organiser of the course. I suggest "lo" to reflect that it
refers to a Learning Object and not a collection. If other terms are better,
please comment. However I don't think we should include the collection it
belongs to in this URL, as one LO could be in several collections.
The fileManager: <domain>/filemanager
The userpage of a user "username": <domain>/user/[username]/
The Shelf manager of a user "username": <domain>/user/[username]/shelf
The user's preferences: <domain>/user/preferences
Future usergroups (teams) around a certain common topic of interest:
<domain>/[groupname]
and likewise: <domain>/[groupname]/members, <domain>/[groupname]/[materials]
and <domain>/[groupname]/files, etc.
For searching a intuitive query should be built up starting with
<domain>/search/q= or similar. This is where the power of the underlying
gnowsys can be shown to retrieve various kinds of information.
For news and events, the URL is almost ready in the sense that it already
reflects the above structure.

I hope for your comments and suggestions! In any case I think the proposed
changes should be implemented in a short term as authors will want to link to
the objects they are working with.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?23291>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/