self-platform-dev

[Self-platform-dev] optimizing storage of relations

From: Nagarjuna G.
Subject: [Self-platform-dev] optimizing storage of relations
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 20:14:49 +0530

Today we discussed with the developers on how to optimize the storage
of relations and will be doing the following change, which we hope
will speed up all updates to the database, including import.

What is happening now:

for each snapshot of an object, new relations applicable to each are
created.  since the older relation was with a previous snapshot, new
relations are created for each new snapshot.  As a result each change
demands the creation of several relations.

This is not necessary.

What is being planned (the modification logic task will start tomorrow)

 What we need is to copy the array of relationids from the previous
snapshot and add only the new relations if required and update the
array in the relations feild.  This will reduce all the overhead that
the platform is facing currently.

Same logic will be followed for attributes.   We will test this idea
tomorrow and update the list soon.

--
Nagarjuna G.
http://www.gnowledge.org/