Re: [Simulavr-devel] Simulavrxx development & docs

From: Klaus Rudolph
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Simulavrxx development & docs
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:24:56 +0200 (MEST)

Hi Raymond,

first of all:
I found your email in my spam directory.
Please look for a correct mail client setup :-)

> I'd like to know whether you have sources for the AtMega16 simulation on
> simulavrxx.

No I have not setup the atmega16 until now. Normaly the differnt hardware
parts of all mega devices are the same. Only the number of the
parts differs in the different mega devices. So it seems to be easy
to setup a new class atmega16 as a copy from atmega128 and remove
unused components. But there are some differences in common used
registers. A lot of registers contains bits of multiple hardware parts.
So there could occure some problems. But it is easy to do the job if
you have some time for the task.

For general simulation purpose you also could set up your
software to atmega128. Simulate the things you need and for
real devices switch back to mega16 settings. This is the way I develop my
own things.

Actually I have not planed to spend there much time so you should
not expect that the atmega16 devices appears in the next weeks :-)

If you have fun to setup the atmega16 device you are wellcome to do
the job, I will support you with answers to each detailed question.
If you want to start the job please give me a notice so that I can
coordinate the work if someone else wants to start some bigger jobs.
Please send only small diffs so that we (Bill and I) are able to
check your work for possible problems.

How to start:
Copy atmega128 class to a new mega16 class.
Modify the constructor as needed. Collect all the problems you find
with registers which are used by multiple devices. Start to
investigate the problem and ask me if help is needed.
If you need additional support while you are not able to write a
new hardware part I maybe could do the job if it is small enough.

Thanks for your interest!

Regards,
   Klaus