Re: [Simulavr-devel] Need Tar for Atmega328 Simulation

From: Wojciech Stryjewski
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Need Tar for Atmega328 Simulation
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 14:28:14 -0600

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 1:28 AM, ThomasK <address@hidden> wrote:

> For replacement of reading elf parts: I would be very carefully with
> replacing libbfd, even if we only need to read the binary parts of elf. For
> me, it would be better to solve this problem in configure than to write a
> "private" code part for reading elf. (which we had to maintain and I'm
> awaiting some bugs, because it's new written) Brandon's problem was "just" a
> linker problem, not a problem with code itself.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be written from scratch. There are
some existing libraries for manipulating only ELF objects. There's
libelf at http://www.mr511.de/software/ and
http://sourceforge.net/projects/elfio/. And just in case you ever need
to read the DWARF debug format there's
http://reality.sgiweb.org/davea/dwarf.html.