Re: [Simulavr-devel] Signal tracing to VCD file.

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Signal tracing to VCD file.
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 11:10:18 +0100

Am 28.12.2013 06:08, schrieb Onno Kortmann:
> I originally wrote the VCD code.

Excellent, nice to meet you!

> I remember correctly, the 'range' feature for the list of
> traced variables is to specify a range of variables, not a range the
> variable is in. For example all of PORTB 0 .. 7.

It's quite possible to I misinterpreted the sources. I hope the reviewed
description fits better:

http://www.reprap.org/wiki/SimulAVR#Writing_the_infile

On what great things one can do with signal tracing, see a number of
fixed bugs which were hard to grab without precise measurements:

https://github.com/Traumflug/Teacup_Firmware/issues/64
https://github.com/Traumflug/Teacup_Firmware/issues/68
https://github.com/Traumflug/Teacup_Firmware/issues/70

How else could one see the step timer of a stepper motor control is
triggered twice when changing from one move to the next? SimulAVRs VCD
tracing made this clearly visible!

OK, I have to admit some additional script code was required to
translate step pulse timings into motor speeds. No rocket science with
this excellent dumping code, though.

Markus

--
Dipl. Ing. (FH) Markus Hitter