simulchaord-discuss

[Simulchaord-discuss] Mailing list policy on attachments

From: Paul Fernhout
Date: Wed Apr 10 11:27:01 2002

I'm still trying to get CVS talking to Savannah from my system so I can
put up some web pages and think about putting up code.

My thought behind this attachment experiment in any case had been that
without CVS people could just post code to the mailing list (or a
separate list for that?) Then it coudl be accessed through the archives:
  http://mail.freesoftware.fsf.org/pipermail/simulchaord-discuss/

But it didn't work as expected for me. Probably I can make it work as
expected, but it could lead to problems. If people want to post code to
a mailing list instead of CVS perhaps there should be a separate code or
attachment mailing list, and that such code sent to that code list can
then be harvested. This will keep down bandwidth for this list for
people who aren't using code, as well as minimize attachment related
problems. Presumably discussion of the code posted to the other list
will remain on this list though.

So perhaps for now and the near future the policy should be no
attachments and only plain text email?  I for one would also prefer to
avoid HTML mail. Who knows where embedded images lead to or what
embedded plugin references do?

So, a policy -- with no one else to object yet. This mailing list is for
text mail only.

Feel free to post links to things on web sited in HTML or whatever --
preferably standard non-proprietary document formats (HTML, XML, text)
and not proprietary formats like Word Doc files.

If there is a demand or need, a separate list will be created that mail
with attachments can be sent to, and then such mail can be referenced by
other mail sent to this list.

I personally like the idea of using email for peer to peer networking --
I understand Eudora has an option for that now.
  http://www.eudora.com/email/features/esp.html

-Paul Fernhout
Kurtz-Fernhout Software
Creators of the Garden with Insight(TM) garden simulator
http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com