skribilo-users

Re: [skribilo-users] bibliography sorting

From: Roger Mason
Subject: Re: [skribilo-users] bibliography sorting
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 10:29:41 -0230

Hi Ludo,

On 08/16/12 10:43, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
(use-modules (skribilo biblio))
Thanks for the help.

Regarding the documentation, I suggest that the first line in 6.3.2 be changed from:

The :sort option of the the-bibliography markup is used for sorting the bibliography entries. There are three pre-existing functions for sorting entries:

to:

"The :sort option of the the-bibliography markup is used for sorting the bibliography entries. There are three pre-existing functions for sorting entries by author, date or identifier.  These funclions are loaded by putting

(use-modules (skribilo biblio))

at the top of the document."

Reading through the bibliography section of the manual I see the need for a complete example to illustrate how the various commands, given as prototypes, are used in practice.

In the scientific publications for which I write, the common manner of citing publications is by author and year.  For example:  "Mason (1979) demonstrated how silly science can be.  This is in complete contrast to earlier authors (Einsten, 1924; Schroedinger, 1930) with their serious approach to their work."  The entries are then sorted alphabetically, without an identifier.  I guess that in order to have that citation style and reference list I would need to hack something like Ex. 31 and put it in the document?

By the way: what is (*bib-table*)?  Do the asterisks designate text?  Again, a usage example would really make the documentation clearer.

Cheers,
Roger
--
Roger Mason