sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] keyserver.pramberger.at terminating

From: David Shaw
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] keyserver.pramberger.at terminating
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 18:12:24 -0400

On Sep 7, 2010, at 5:04 PM, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 10:40:40PM +0200, Johan van Selst wrote:
>> That makes perfect sense. But still, there is nothing preventing this
>> user (or anyone else) from harassing other keyserver maintainers and
>> demanding key removal everywhere. It would be a real shame if all
>> keyservers in the western world had to shut down for legal reasons.
>
> Given the ability for arbitrary people to attach arbitrary pictures to
> arbitrary keys, I think the ability to remove packets from the database
> is a feature that keyservers are going to have to grow.
>
> Let's face it, there are images which are illegal to distribute in
> basically every jurisdiction.

Basically, yes.

I must confess I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet (at least in a visible
fashion - who knows what happened un-noticed).  The danger has been talked
about a few times over the years.

I suspect if it happened, the quickest fix would be to simply discard any photo
IDs, along with their signatures.  A more delicate fix would take longer.

David