sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Debian Jessie package for sks-1.1.6 was: [Announcement]

From: William Hay
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Debian Jessie package for sks-1.1.6 was: [Announcement] SKS 1.1.6 Released
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2016 15:10:13 +0100

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 05:23:13PM -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On Wed 2016-08-31 15:44:20 -0400, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
>
> > Is the package still forcing the backup and re-import on upgrade? I
> > know that is what took one of my servers out when I upgraded as they
> > don't have the space to do so. I'd rather just blow away the DB and
> > let my SaltStack deployment re-import a fresh keydump.
>
> I believe it only does that if the underlying bdb version has changed,
> in which case it's really necessary.  If it's forcing an upgrade on you
> when it shouldn't need to, please report it as a bug in the debian BTS.
>
> Regards,
>
>      --dkg
1.Thanks for the nice jessie-backports package.

2.AFAICT the package postinst performs a backup unless the file
/var/lib/sks/berkeley_db.active is present and the contents match those
of /usr/lib/sks/berkeley_db.txt in the package.  If the .active file is
missing but the sks server is working then preventing the backup  may be
possible by copying the .txt file to the .active file before upgrading
if the old and new packages use the same database version.

3.Debian's file command seems to have a fair idea of what sort of file the
/var/lib/sks/DB/key file is (including a version number).  I wonder if
the output of file could be used to determine if a database upgrade and
backup is needed rather than using a text file as a proxy (which seems to get
lost rather easily).

William