slacktools-dev

Re: [Slacktools-dev] Links to related tools

From: Paulo Abrantes
Subject: Re: [Slacktools-dev] Links to related tools
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 00:39:55 +0100

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 23:48:58 +0100
João Ferreira <address@hidden> wrote:

> 1.1. Package Management
> -----------------------
>
>  [ snip]

  So there's a question to be made, if there are so many package systems out
there? What are
the goodies that this one is gonna give to us, slackware users? To start
developing something just because we want, side by side with about 10 other
projects that do the same is just
a great call to make us vaporware...and I think none of us want this.

> -----------
> 2. Projects
> -----------
>
> Until now we have just discussed the idea of a package manager, but there's
> other project I have i mind.
> As you may know, when you do a Slackware package you can write a
> post-installation script (see
> http://www.slackware.com/book/index.php?source=x4132.html).
>
> So, my idea is to create a Slackware package that will secure a slackware
> box. How? Well, basically, it would
> see those basic things such as running services, etc...

What you are asking is called an HHA, Host Harding Aplication, currently we are
discussing the package manager and we should be there. Believe me, you don't
wanna start messing with HHA. Besides there's already a pretty good script,
called Bastille, still IMHO Hardening should always be done by the sysadmin by
hand.

> But this idea is extendable to things such as kernel patches (there are those
> patches who create different levels of security, etc),
> services patches, bad-password checking, etc...

Now I have _really_ have to say it. You are drifting in your mind, you should
be carefull before hitting a depth mine:) Let's focus in your main idea, the
packager manager and then
will start discussing other stuff.

At least we cannot say that we are giving use to the mailing list.
Regards,
Paulo

P. Abrantes AKA Ghost_Rider

        Computer Science Student @