social-discuss

Re: [Social-discuss] FooPlug -- GNU social on a plug computer

From: Alec Muffett
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] FooPlug -- GNU social on a plug computer
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 06:54:23 +0100

> I live in Gatineau, Québec, Canada, and the Terms of Service for the
> ISPs in my area prohibit residential/home users from running servers.

The verbiage is there to allow arbitrary disconnection of people who use their
service in a way that's uneconomic to the ISP, that's all.  Run Skype?  That's
a "server".  Run BT?  That's a "server".  You have TCP listeners all over the
place, they could be on several machines.

See if you can find out what they believe a "server" entails and share the
results on your blog and/or with this list; don't put words into their mouth,
get their customer services people to provide their own definitions, then pile
them up and demolish them.

Your ISP could all block your inbound traffic but that would not be
commensurate with providing a service that you've paid for.

Perhaps if we nail down definitions, and name and shame such ToS restrictions
along with their commensurate silly definitions, then something might change.

        -a

--
address@hidden
http://dropsafe.crypticide.com/