social-discuss

[Social-discuss] new on list, but not new to SN

From: Tony Baldwin
Subject: [Social-discuss] new on list, but not new to SN
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 03:57:14 -0400

Hi,

I'm Tony.
I just joined the list.
I have adminned a few status.net sites (one currently at
http://status.farcebork.com and several former sites).

I also just installed from the gnu-social gitorious repo
and have a new instance at https://gnusoc.tonybaldwin.info

I got my slatenet theme to work on it.
https://gitorious.org/slatenet/slatenet
I got the Yourls plugin to work on it.
https://github.com/tonybaldwin/yourls-status-net
I set my statexpire script working on it:
https://github.com/tonybaldwin/statexpire

Everything seems to be working.
Except there is no twitter connectivity.
I enabled that stuff in the config.php, but the settings do not appear
in the site's admin or settings panels.
The blog plugin appears to be missing.

The twitter stuff is almost a moot point, really, since I'm trying to
get off all the proprietary, corporate fascist networks.
It may now be broken on up-to-date SN sites, anyway, from what I
and some other federated SN folks are seeing.
(change in twitter API, perhaps? Don't know. Will look further into it
later). The twitter connectivity has, at least, been useful for
following various news sources, and publishing to a wider audience.

The blog plugin is handy.

Here's a wiki page on stuff I've hacked on for or related to status.net
http://tonyb.us/snet

I dropped into #social on freenode, but there wasn't much going on.
Anyway, I hope to perhaps be useful to the project, if I can.
I'm no wizard with php or anything, but I'll contribute what I can.

I can't help but wonder if the gnu-social repo wouldn't benefit from
pulling from upstream. status.net has been updated as recently as June 9
of this year (4 days ago as I write this), while the gnu-social
repository seems to have seen no activity since May of last year (over a
year ago now).

be well,
tony
--