social-mediagoblin

Re: [Social-mediagoblin] Goals for our first Alpha release in fall

From: Blaise Alleyne
Subject: Re: [Social-mediagoblin] Goals for our first Alpha release in fall
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 15:25:59 -0400

On 11-05-09 02:59 PM, Matt Lee wrote:
> I think ~username or /u/username are silly.
>
> We should be doing https://mattl.mediagobl.in/ etc

Wouldn't a subdomain make it harder for people to set up on their own servers?
We're already requiring people to do some Python set up, but DNS as well?
Unless I'm missing something and this is easy to set up in a variety of hosting
environments... IMHO, /u/username seems like a simple, safe way to go.

If subdomains were to be an option, they at least shouldn't be a default
option. With WordPress MU, for example, you can do the subdomain setup, but it
works with subdirectories as well for simpler environments.