social-p2p

SPORC (Was: Re: [Social-p2p] Tech links)

From: Ted Smith
Subject: SPORC (Was: Re: [Social-p2p] Tech links)
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 00:55:30 -0400

On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 16:42 -0700, Miron Cuperman wrote:
> http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~mfreed/docs/*sporc*-osdi10.pdf - Group
> Collaboration using Untrusted Cloud Resources

I skimmed this a few days ago and had the following impressions:

      * SPORC is a system with an untrusted server, rather than a system
        with a trusted server, or a fully peer-to-peer system. It seems
        that high-availability servers are sometimes useful, and so
        untrusted servers might be a good thing to look into in the
        future. OTOH, picking a high-availability peer at
        (mostly-)random and using that as your untrusted server would
        work the same.
      * The way they enforce ACLs on documents is exactly the same as
        ours: Every user has a private key, the document is encrypted
        with a symmetric key that's encrypted to every user, and you
        re-encrypt if you want to delete someone from the ACL. I was
        fairly sure this was the right way to do it already, but I'm
        glad that they apparently came to the same conclusion.

Any other thoughts?