Re: Debian spamass-milt help needed

From: Chuck Yerkes
Subject: Re: Debian spamass-milt help needed
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 19:41:28 -0400

Quoting Derek J. Balling (address@hidden):
> On Wednesday, May 21, 2003, at 02:24  PM, Dan Nelson wrote:
> >You'd want to open aliases.db to get useful performance, I think.  Is
> >that pathname something a milter can ask sendmail about?  Even better
> >would be to get sendmail to expand the alias before the milter gets it,
> >but I don't know if that's possible.
It's stupid, but the only way is to parse sendmail.cf yourself.

> It's not something you can coax out of sendmail, but here's what you
> COULD do. Every version of sendmail that supports milter, by default,
> uses /etc/mail/aliases.db ... if the admin wants the aliases.db to be
> elsewhere, it could always be a command line argument. :-)
>
> That would make the milter very much more useful (IMHO).

Sendmail *would* be much more useful if more of it were
in a library so that you could use their routines to get things
like aliases.  Or query a routine to expand an alias (which
is what you seem to be after).

Me?  I use several aliases files (aliases, aliases.mailman, etc)
and I use LDAP.

Me?  I don't wanna read stuff from users' dirs in general because
1) I have few users with any shell access (lots of $HOME=/poponly)
2) the performance/disk impact that can introduce and
3) (big one) I filter on a machine long before it reaches a
   mail storage machine.  I filter on the DMZ.  No users there.

"sendmail -bv address@hidden" will expand to your list if you want
it.  You are already impacting performance.