Re: IPv6 issues (was: Re: Milter (spamassassin): to error state ...)

From: coffeelover
Subject: Re: IPv6 issues (was: Re: Milter (spamassassin): to error state ...)
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:05:20 -0500

Joost,

> "CONFIG_IPV6 is not set" in my kernel.
> .. sendmail binary I am using has IPv6 enabled,
> but my sendmail configuration doesn't use it.

 i also do not have ipv6 compiled into my linux
kernels. When the sendmail binary had ipv6 enabled i
had frequent milter stability problems. sendmail config
had no effect on this. To repeat, when i had ipv6
enabled sendmail binary running the milter is unstable.
when i rebuilt sendmail without ipv6 the milter became
very stable. no changes in sendmail.cf generated by
sendmail.mc ... I tried many ... i repeat many! :-)
configuration tweaks. I do use sendmail's rbl feature
rather liberally .. spamcop, osirusoft, and a few other
favorites ... there may be a link with these and ipv6.
I was able to get sendmail responding quicker to
connections but the milter was unstable until i rebuilt
sendmail without ipv6.
 will cut and paste watchdog script i am using, this is
derived from other scripts and stuff. basically do a
ps ax and pipe through grep then through wc looking for
at least three spamass-milter entries. I never saw the
milter hang with three or more spamass-milters present?
 change here, gonna attach instead .. using simple
web interface for email here and cutting and pasting
the special characters did not go well! :-)
 -Patrick Main-

#!/bin/sh
#
# watchdog script for milter, 6-8-03 pmain run hourly or more often
#
DEBUG=0
LOGRESTART=1
TIMERESTART=`/bin/date`
COUNT=`/bin/ps -ax |/bin/grep spamass |/usr/bin/wc -l`
if [ $COUNT -lt 3 ] ; then
   if [ $DEBUG -eq 1 ] ; then
     echo "spamass-milter problem: only $COUNT running "
     echo "Restarting smamass-milter ... "
   fi
  if [ $LOGRESTART -eq 1 ] ; then
     echo "restarting milter: count was $COUNT at $TIMERESTART .." >>
/var/log/spam-milter
  fi

  /sbin/service spamass-milter stop > /dev/null 2>&1
  /sbin/service spamass-milter stop > /dev/null 2>&1
  /bin/sleep 3
  /sbin/service spamass-milter start > /dev/null 2>&1
fi

if [ $DEBUG -eq 1 ] ; then
   echo "spamass-milter count was $COUNT "
fi