Re: sendmail -bv

From: Dan Nelson
Subject: Re: sendmail -bv
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 16:24:11 -0500

In the last episode (Sep 02), Valentin Chopov said:
> Last week I tried the CVSed spamass-milter.
> Is there any problems with the added "sendmail -bv".
> 2 times my server running spamass-milter increased it's load
> to >100 ;) and I had to kill the spamass-milter and start again.
> I think the major change from the previos version was added
> "sendmail -bv".

What OS are you running?  So far the only system that seems to do this
is FreeBSD's libc_r threads.  My Debian machine has never done this,
and if I switch my FreeBSD 5 box to use libkse or libthr threads, it
works great.  It's probably a bug in libc_r's popen() function.  I
might just write a simple popen() replacement.

> Today I saw that there was a change from:
> sprintf(buf, "%s -bv \"%s\"", SENDMAIL, envrcpt[0]);
> to:
> sprintf(buf, "%s -bv \"%s\" 2>&1", SENDMAIL, envrcpt[0]);
>
> Does this fix any problem:

No; I just did this because most people run spamass-milter as a daemon
so sendmail errors would get lost.  With the above change, you can run
"spamass-milter -d rcpt" and sendmail's output will get logged to
syslog.

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden