Re: Can base64 encoded messages learnable by sa-learn?

From: Dan Nelson
Subject: Re: Can base64 encoded messages learnable by sa-learn?
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 21:45:57 -0500

In the last episode (Sep 04), Thomas Cameron said:
> I have a client with a Red hat 9 + SA 2.55 + spamass-milter server in
> front of a Lotus Notes server.  The client has hired a Notes
> developer to give their users an extra button in Notes to forward
> false negatives to a spam account the Linux server so I can run
> sa-learn --spam on the messages.  The thing is, the messages get sent
> as base64 encoded attachments (see example below).
>
> Can sa-learn use this format to learn from?

Yes, but make sure you don't simply "learn" that messages forwarded
from Notes are spam :)

Due to Notes' automatic MIME->RTF conversion, it may be impossible to
regenerate the exact original email message from a Notes document.  I
think you can disable it, but then internal Notes->Notes messages won't
look as nice.  Also, you may not be able to recreate the Subject:
correctly if it had charset escapes in it.  The safest option may be to
strip all the header information and send only the body text to
sa-learn.  That all depends on how good your Notes guy is, of course.

I have the exact same setup as you, and the best solution I can think
of is to use another milter to cache all incoming messages in a
database for say 48 hours, let the Notes user just do a regular Notes
message forward to the salearn address, and then match that back to the
original incoming message based on the subject and timestamp in the
forwarded message.  That way you don't have to try and rebuild the
message at all.  The end-user has to forward the spam before it gets
aged out of the cache, though.

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden