Re: Sudden instability

From: SG
Subject: Re: Sudden instability
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 18:31:20 -0400

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 09:24:08 -0700, Todd Lyons <address@hidden> wrote:

> Up until yesterday, the mail system was very stable (3 load balanced
> SMTP's handling about 50K messages each per day with clamav and
> spamassassin).  Yesterday I made one config change to spamd, telling it
> not to convert marked spams to an attachment (report_safe 0).  SA marks
> it at 5.0 and the milter rejects it at 7.0.  These are RedHat 9.0 boxen.
>
> I didn't notice it until last night, but the spamass-milter process is
> now dying on me at fairly regular intervals.  Last night it was about
> once per hour.  I have a cron job that checks status every 15 minutes
> and restarts if necessary.
>
> Looking through the archives, one comment by Dan *REALLY* stood out.
> "Standard behaviour for threaded apps under Linux when they crash.  I
> bet if you run 'ps axw | grep spamass-milter', you see one process
> instead of the usual 3."  This is what I am seeing now too.  I'm not
> sure what changed on the three machines from yesterday until today other
> than some whitelists and the report_safe option.  I cannot say with
> certainty that there was three processes yesterday before I changed the
> report_safe option.  I tend to think that the report_safe option is a
> red herring, but maybe not.
>
> There have been no new packages installed since I installed clamav-0.70
> back on June 1.
>
> My uptime is around 100 days, so it's not been rebooted for some time.
> I can't see how that would affect it either.  These machines each have 2
> Gigs of RAM, so they're not starved of resources.  Load average usually
> is below 4.0 for each of the machines though it does spike
> occassionally.
>
> address@hidden log]# ps ax | grep spamass-milter | grep -v grep
> 27722 pts/1    S      0:00 spamass-milter -p /var/run/spamass.sock -f -r 7
> address@hidden log]# ldd `which spamass-milter`
>        libstdc++.so.5 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 (0x4001c000)
>        libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/libm.so.6 (0x400cf000)
>        libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x400f1000)
>        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0 (0x400fa000)
>        libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x42000000)
>        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)
>
> Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.
>
> I will probably have to switch to CVS code because I need the -e option.
> We have virtual users and I need to have per user spamassassin
> configuration control.
> --
> Regards...              Todd
> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.       --Benjamin Franklin
> Linux kernel 2.6.3-8mdkenterprise   2 users,  load average: 0.04, 0.04, 0.00

fwiw - i have been receiving lots of spam today too... i'm only
showing one spamass-milter process... should there be three? and i
haven't changed anything, clamav is still filtering, but it seems at
4:10ish pm est, SA stopped working, I'm using FBSD 4.9, for 42 days
uptime, I restarted spamd... should i restart sendmail too...?
cheers,
sg