Re: Sudden instability

From: Dan Nelson
Subject: Re: Sudden instability
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 18:15:17 -0500

In the last episode (Jul 01), SG said:
> fwiw - i have been receiving lots of spam today too... i'm only
> showing one spamass-milter process... should there be three? and i
> haven't changed anything, clamav is still filtering, but it seems at
> 4:10ish pm est, SA stopped working, I'm using FBSD 4.9, for 42 days
> uptime, I restarted spamd... should i restart sendmail too...?

No, only Linux has the three processes.  They're due to how
LinuxThreads emulates threads with processes and a lightweight fork()
function called clone().  On other systems you'll either see 1 process
if it's working, or zero if it's not :)

Lots of spam could be due to a lot of things.  Check your headers to
see if you have an X-Spam-Status: header.  If not, then check
/var/log/maillog for milter timeout messages.  If you do see a header,
then spamassassin and the milter ran but decided the messages wan't
spam.  You can either raise your sensitivity, enable Bayesean
filtering, or try installing some 3rd-party spamassassin rulesets to
detect spam styles invented after 2.63 was released.

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden