Re: Problem with Bayes SA/spamass-milter interaction?

From: Dan Nelson
Subject: Re: Problem with Bayes SA/spamass-milter interaction?
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 21:30:43 -0500

In the last episode (Apr 21), Steven W. Orr said:
> I have just recently noticed that I don't seem to have Bayes working and I
> don't know why. I'm on Fedora Core 3/sendmail-8.13.1/SA-3.0.2 and
> spamass-milter-0.3.0-1.1
>
> Lots of spam gets caught and properly tagged but none of it is
> getting any of the BAYES tags. If I save a message after reception
> and pass it through to spamassassin on the cmdline using -D I can see
> that the Bayes stuff is working and it gets tagged as such on the
> X-Spam-Status header.
>
> I am on a personal server here at home with my domain hosted off my cable
> modem.
>
> The options I'm using are:
> for SA -d -c -m5 -H
> and for spamass-milter -m -r5

With those flags, spamassassin is probably filtering your mails as
either nobody or root, and either doesn't know you want bayes enabled
or can't read the existing database.

Try forcing a world-writable bayes path in local.cf, like:

bayes_path /usr/tmp/spamassassin/bayes
bayes_file_mode         0777

, or consider using a SQL-based bayes database which doesn't require
any filesystem privs.

Another option is to use add "-u root" to spamass-milter's options, so
it will try and determine the recipient's username and pass that to
spamassassin so it knows whose settings to use (and fall back to root's
settings if there are multiple local recipients).

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden