Re: Suddenly load average of 15-18???

From: R. Steven Rainwater
Subject: Re: Suddenly load average of 15-18???
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 21:07:36 -0500

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 10:03, Thomas Cameron wrote:
> spamass-milter-0.3.0-3 ...
> All of a sudden about two days ago spamc processes
> were chewing up the machine

This is probably unrelated to your issue but I just switched to
spamass-milter from smtp-vilter and noticed two load related issues.

First my server load averages around 1 - 2 using spamass-milter vs .25 -
.5 with smtp-vilter. Second, lots of spamd processes seem to stack up
and run for very long periods of time (10 - 15 minutes) with
spamass-milter vs never more than about a minute with smtp-vilter.

I have other issues with smtp-vilter which made me decide to drop it
and, other than the high loads, I like spamass-milter much better. I've
tweaked the spamd settings and improved the situation somewhat but I'm
still running at a higher load level than I like. Has anyone compared
the code of these two milters? I'd be curious to hear any speculation on
the cause of the load difference.

-Steve